“The past beats inside me like a second heart”
JOHN BANVILLE, THE SEA
[text_box width=”44″ position_x=”5″ position_y=”0″]
Challenges I manage include:
- Intimacy Injustice , meaning any sexual, social, racial, class injustice, betrayal, deception, that tramatizes you and your intimate relationship/s
- Gender Based Violence
- Cyber Infidelity
- Traumatic losses including miscarriage, abortion, death , divorce, separation, relationship endings, suicide
- Pornography use
- Out of Control Sexual Behavior
[text_box width=”41″ position_x=”95″ position_y=”15″]
- Adult event PTSD traumas, including rape, sexual harassment , non consensual sexuality, sexual violations, accidents, disabilities, which result in sexual and intimacy difficulties
- Developmental Trauma Disorder, namely childhood neglect, abandonment, sexual or physical abuse suffered under the age of 18 years old which result in sexual and intimacy difficulties
- Attachment disruptions which create intimacy challenges in relationships.
Bessel van der Kolk, MD, psychiatrist, best selling author of “The Body Keeps the Score”, researcher and educator, describes the experience of trauma as “the brain on fire”.
Having a brain on fire, results in a higher risk of mental and physical illnesses such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders and addictions as well as inflammatory diseases such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome , Fibromyalgia and Digestive difficulties.
And most significantly, a brain on fire distracts you from social, emotional and relational connection – and healthy sexuality.
In other words, trauma creates Intimacy and Attachment disruptions.
Trauma is not the event. Whether this event was a once off adult event such as a sexual violation , rape, car accident, resulting in PTSD, or Developmental Childhood Trauma, such as sexual or physical abuse, emotional neglect and abandonment, trauma is what happens inside you.
And so you find ways to live your life to avoid feeling the pain inside of you. All the while your body holds the score and the suffering continues. In February 2021, I complete my Post Graduate Certificate in Traumatic Stress Studies, through Bessel van der Kolk’s Trauma Research Foundation , Boston , USA.
I invite you to bring your brain and body into my well resourced therapeutic space. You deserve a life of joy, happiness and freedom from suffering.
Working through a trauma -informed lens , utilizing
Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Internal Family Systems, Mindfulness, Self Compassion , Family Systems as well as traditional Sex Therapy techniques and Complex Relationship theory and interventions, I offer you a safe and secure therapeutic environment.